Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Orange bar
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

Provisional Engineer License

Application forms:

The Minnesota Legislature created the Provisional Engineer License to allow currently licensed second- class A or B engineers to be "shift engineers" in boiler plants over 500 horsepower. All of the requirements listed below must be met prior to DLI issuing a provisional license. DLI will regulate the number of provisional licenses issued.

Requirements for the Provisional Engineer License include:

  • The boiler plant must have a properly licensed chief engineer designated in charge of the boiler plant in accordance with Minnesota Rule 5225.0410.
  • The boiler plant employee who will be issued the provisional license holds a valid license as a second-class engineer grade A or B.
  • The chief engineer in charge of the boiler plant submits an application to the commissioner on a form prescribed by the commissioner to elicit information on whether these requirements have been met. (See application forms above)
  • The chief engineer in charge of the boiler plant and an authorized representative of the owner of the boiler plant both sign the application for the provisional license. (See application forms above)
  • The owner of the boiler plant has a documented training program with examination for boilers and equipment at the boiler plant to train and test the boiler plant employee.
  • If the application were to be granted, the total number of provisional licenses for employees of the boiler plant shall not exceed the total number of properly licensed first-class engineers and chief engineers responsible for the safe operation of the boilers at the boiler plant.
  • Each provisional license expires 36 months after the date of issuance unless revoked less than 36 months after the date of issuance. A provisional license may not be renewed.
  • The commissioner may issue no more than two provisional licenses to any individual within a four-year period.
  • The one-time fee for the provisional license is $35.
  • The person who holds the provisional license can be a "shift engineer" only at the boiler plant where they were employed at the time of the license application.

A public utility, cooperative electric association, generation and transmission cooperative electric association, municipal power agency, or municipal electric utility that employs licensed boiler operators who are subject to an existing labor contract may use a provisional licensee as an operator only if using the provisional licensee does not violate the labor contract.

Send questions regarding licenses, bonds and continuing education to DLI.License@state.mn.us or call (651) 284-5059 or 1-800-DIAL-DLI (1-800-342-5354).

DLI home page | Directions and maps | News and media | Website disclaimer