Skip to main content

What is required of employers

The Minnesota Workers' Compensation Law states that all employers are required to purchase workers' compensation insurance or become self-insured.

Workers' compensation insurance in Minnesota may be purchased through an insurance agent or directly from an insurance company. Although some states (North Dakota is an example) provide workers' compensation insurance directly to employers, Minnesota and most other states do not. Employers should contact an insurance agent or insurer that deals in commercial or business insurance to obtain a workers' compensation insurance policy to cover their employees.

If an employer is not able to obtain insurance in the voluntary market, assigned risk-plan coverage (sometimes referred to as "assigned risk-pool" insurance) can be obtained with the assistance of an insurance agent or by calling the Minnesota Workers' Compensation Insurers' Association at 952-897-1737 for more information about how to apply.