Skip to main content

Licensees are required to notify us, in writing, within 15 days of a change in a license, registration, bond or certification.

Changes to business/contractor licenses and bonds

  • Change of business name: Change business legal name and/or assumed name, or add assumed name.

  • Change of business structure: Change legal status from sole proprietor, partnership, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, corporation to a different legal status.

  • Change of business or mailing address

  • Change of responsible person: Licensed businesses and contractors required to designate a responsible licensed individual must notify us immediately when this individual leaves employment or ceases being the designated responsible licensed person.

  • Change of business owners/officers: A change of owners and officers with a licensed business or contractor may require notification. Disclosure is required when a new owner acquires at least 10 percent ownership stake in the business. Disclosure is also required when the officers for a business change. Disclosure would also be required when partners are added to a partnership and when members are added to a limited liability company. Business and contractor licenses required to disclose their owners and officers are: residential building contractor, residential remodeler, residential roofer, manufactured home installer, electrical contractor, elevator contractor, technology system contractor.

  • Change of general liability insurance: Licensed business/contractor must submit a certificate of liability insurance immediately when there is a change in liability insurance.

  • Change of workers' compensation insurance: Licensed business/contractor must submit a certificate of compliance with Minnesota's workers' compensation laws immediately when there is a change in insurance coverage, which includes changing the certification from exempt to obtaining insurance coverage.

  • Change of bond: Replacement of a bond is generally not accepted. However, for those situations when a bond may be replaced, the licensed business/contractor must file it with DLI before the bond will replace the previously filed bond.

Changes to personal/individual licenses, registrations and certifications

Changing your name: Submit a letter explaining the name change to us. Include a copy of your license, registration or certification that clearly shows your former name. Also include legal documentation showing the name change (i.e., a copy of marriage certificate, court documentation).

Changing your mailing address: Submit a personal license address change form or send the address-change details to


Contact us at