Skip to main content

Application and renewal

About registered unlicensed plumbers

  • An individual who is not licensed as a plumber may only perform plumbing work in Minnesota if they are registered with us as a registered unlicensed plumber (formerly known as an apprentice).

  • There is no work experience required to register as a registered unlicensed plumber and the initial filing fee is $14.

  • Once registered, a registered unlicensed plumber may only perform plumbing work under the direct supervision of a licensed master plumber or journeyworker plumber.

  • For work in communities with a population under 5,000, unlicensed work can be supervised by a license-restricted master plumber or restricted journeyworker plumber.

  • Unlicensed plumbers must also be a W-2 employee of a licensed plumbing contractor, licensed restricted plumbing contractor or a registered plumbing employer (for work performed on the employer's premises only).

  • Unlicensed registrations must be renewed by June 30 of each year. The renewal fee is $14.

  • Registered unlicensed plumbers must complete two hours of continuing education related to code by June 30 of each year.

  • To renew your registration you must submit your work experience for the past year. Employers do not submit this information. 

Becoming a licensed plumber

  • A registered unlicensed plumber who has worked for four years can apply to take the journeyworker plumber exam once they have performed 7,000 hours of practical work experience.

  • This work experience must include the following minimum experience in these categories of plumbing work:

  • 2,000 hours of water distribution system installation,

  • 2,000 hours of drain, waste and vent system installation, and

  • 1,000 hours of fixture installation .

  • The remaining hours may be in any aspect of plumbing work as defined in the code.

  • Registered unlicensed plumbers can check their accumulated work experience online.

  • More information about plumbing license exams


Contact us at or 651-284-5031.