Skip to main content

Already have what you need to complete an application or renewal? Visit iMS, the department’s online application and renewal system, to get started

The information below will help you complete the application or renewal successfully.

Requirements for a provisional engineer license

  • The boiler plant must have a properly licensed chief engineer designated in charge of the boiler plant. (Minnesota Rule 5225.0410)

  • The boiler plant employee who will be issued the provisional license must hold a valid license as a second-class engineer grade A or B.

  • If the chief engineer's application is approved, the number of provisional licenses for employees of the boiler plant will not exceed the number of properly licensed first-class engineers and chief engineers responsible for the safe operation of the boilers at the boiler plant.

  • Each provisional license expires 36 months after the date of issuance unless revoked sooner. A provisional license may not be renewed.

  • We will issue no more than two provisional licenses to any individual within a four-year period.

  • The one-time fee for the provisional license is $40.

  • The person who holds the provisional license can be a "shift engineer" only at the boiler plant where they were employed at the time of the license application.

A public utility, cooperative electric association, generation and transmission cooperative electric association, municipal power agency, or municipal electric utility that employs licensed boiler operators who are subject to an existing labor contract may use a provisional licensee as an operator only if using the provisional licensee does not violate the labor contract.

How do I get a provisional engineer license?

Provisional boiler plant

Boiler plants are required to submit a Boiler Plant Application, training materials and a testing procedure. View instructions about how to submit a Boiler Plant Application.



Contact us at 651-284-5034 or