Skip to main content
  1. You must receive at least the minimum wage each hour for all hours your employer requires you to work, including preparation time, opening and closing times, and required meetings.

  2. Your employer may not deduct from your wages for breakages, cash shortages, tools and uniforms. Some exceptions to this rule are allowed. Any deductions from your paycheck must be authorized in writing by you.

  3. Each time you are paid, you must receive a statement listing all deductions, such as taxes, from your earnings.

  4. Keep accurate records of hours worked. If there is a difference between your record and the employer's, review your records together.

  5. Rest breaks are not required. However, you must be allowed time to use the nearest restroom within each four consecutive hours of work. 

  6. If you work eight or more consecutive hours, you must be allowed sufficient time to eat a meal. 

  7. Your employer must pay one-and-one-half times your regular rate of pay for overtime hours worked. State law requires overtime after 48 hours in a workweek. Employers with more than $500,000 in annual sales or revenue are covered by federal law and require overtime after 40 hours in a workweek.

  8. Minors (younger than 18 years of age) are prohibited from working certain jobs. High school students younger than 18 may not work after 11 p.m. on evenings before school days or before 5 a.m. on school days. Minors younger than 16 years of age have limited work hours. Contact the Labor Standards unit for jobs not allowed and hour limitations.

  9. You have a right to a safe workplace. If safety or health hazards exist, contact the Minnesota Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MNOSHA).

  10. If you are injured on the job, immediately inform the employer. The employer has an obligation to provide you with workers' compensation insurance coverage.

  11. Your employer must provide a work environment free from racial, sexual and religious harassment. Report violations to your human resources office or the Minnesota Department of Human Rights.

  12. If your employment ends, file a claim for unemployment insurance at